Sunday 15 June 2008

Out in Style

Been really busy recently at work trying to fill in due to shortages. I should really be concentrating on some project work I've been tasked with. If I do the projects my constable is left alone and I get a morale drop on team and less performance . I'm not even allowed out the station officially, having been defined as only suitable for restricted duty. I can't come back until my doctor signs me back as fit for contact sports. It's really peeing me off now, I need to get back properly. As I can't run I have to be careful. I actually only lasted two days on restricted duty before I was out on short patrols - medicinal purposes only, just to gauge where I was in my recovery.

Things haven't changed on the core shift, where they only paraded 5 for the streets the other night. Across the Borough they showed 19 which was 5 below minimum. I did ask the question why? A few were warned for court but it's that time in the year when overtime will not be authorised. The greater gods like to be tight and build up a buffer so they can throw it away February and March. I don't think I've seen an improvement in core shift numbers over the last 10 years. You do wonder where all the extra money has gone.

Had some excitement on the way back from a partners meeting. Myself and a fellow sergeant were in plain clothes walking through my estate on the way back to the nick. A drug deal happened right in front of us. What do you do? He looks at me and says "Shall we" I says "rude not to". He grabs the punter and I get the dealer in a quick throat hold before throwing him face down. All this in space of 20 seconds. So there we are, him sitting on one and me on the other. Then we realise no radio, no cuffs.

The matter is complicated by Mr Drug Dealer telling me his van is nearby and he's left his 11 month old baby in the front. My colleague has to call 999 on his mobile. Not good, now you'd think we'd get preferential treatment wouldn't you? He was speaking to the operator who didn't have a clue where we were despite very accurate locations from the community sergeant. (don't forget we've done away with local knowledge and this new way is great). I think he was getting a bit pissed off when she put him on hold.

We sat on our detainees for about ten minutes, couldn't hear any sirens. Concerned members of the public ask me if I'm aware there's a baby sat in a van around the corner all alone. They kindly agree to wait by it. He rings the station direct this time, the Integrated Borough Operations (IBO). They haven't heard the call go out and I think it pings to them at about the same time they're speaking to him. A couple of minutes later the lovely sound of sirens.

Already found a wrap of heroin under my man and can see two crack wraps on the pavement where he was standing. Once cuffed another wrap of heroin found on the floor. We'd hit them just as the handover was about to be made. So only 4 wraps and not the expected bundle of notes elsewhere on him or stash of gear.

Both get nicked. Other officers deal with the baby. Mr Dealer offers up the mother being relatively nearby so a quick phone call brings her to scene to take charge of the baby. Wish I'd done that new training re kids coming to notice but suspect this child might involve a report and lots of writing.

Eventually get them booked in and compile the evidential notes. Despite us seeing everything this one will require CPS advice and decision. The punter had his money in his hands to give over prior to us hitting them, but we'll see what CPS say. Mr dealer in interview offered up some cock and bull explanation. See how fair we are, drugs don't bounce nowadays.

This wiped me out for the rest of my shift. If case progression unit hadn't taken it I would have been on for an 18 hour day. My colleague only has 20 shifts left before he retires, he's not impressed by

1. His call to 999
2. Time to book in prisoners

This is not the job he joined, but he's a policeman alright, getting straight in there by instinct. I wonder if that's going to be his last arrest. I'm rather honoured to have been involved if it is.

No comments: